Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Music and those who bring it to others...

Music is healing.
It touches a place inside us, not so much physical as emotional.
It is where we appreciate beauty.
That place where we suddenly can break out smiling, or crying.
Do we have to learn this? I think not.  I think we all have that spot of appreciation inherent in our beings.

Healing? Yes, because it brings us in touch with that something that is connecting us to beauty, to emotions that want to be expressed. As a counselor, and an elder, I know that healing often comes through expressing our emotions...in a safe way of course.  Not recommending road rage, nor that penicillin isn't a good idea.

Two musical women come to my mind today, women who I know and admire, and am a recipient of their talents and can call them my friends.


Marina Raye - who plays flutes, please listen to an example Here.
I'll just clip from her website about her...
Marina Raye is world-renowned as the "Feminine Voice of the Native Flute". What makes her original compositions so special is their deeply emotive quality which celebrates the essence of peace and harmony. Marina's music is used by many in the healing professions to invoke a state of tranquility and a sense of closeness to nature.
Marina was born in Africa where she spent her first ten years. She draws inspiration from her deep love for the Earth as she shares her vision of the awakening of peace in every heart. Trained as a classical musician, Marina has been called a sonic shaman because of her mastery of the native flute. Her instruments are hand-crafted by her husband, flutemaker Charlie Oakwind. Marina and Charlie live in western North Carolina, in a solar-powered home. They are committed to living gently on the Earth.

Marina and I share more links, having early enjoyed our cat stories together.  And then there's her having purchased some of my pottery, for which I'm so grateful...to think of her home having the pots I created being used by them.   And at my home, I'm doing my yoga or meditating  frequently to Marina's music!

I am fortunate, lucky, blessed (chose the adverb) to know and work often with Annelinde Metzner, a.k.a. Linda.  She is a composer, choir director, leader of Sahara Women's Peace Choir, started the Asheville's women's choir Womansong, teaches music in many forms, and is a very talented poet as well.

Here is a sample of her divine feminine music sung informally in rehearsal at a friends home by the Sahara Peace Choir, when I used to be a member. (I've got a red top on if I remember right.)

And Here's a medley of three songs to the Goddess composed by Annelinde Metzner (www.AnnelindesWorld.blogspot.com) from her songbook, "Lady of Ten Thousand Names." This medley was arranged for the 25th Anniversary Concert of Womansong of Asheville,


Linda has been our music director for the last 10 years, the same amount of time I've been a member of this congregation, The Unitarian Universalist Congregation of the Swannanoa Valley, in Black Mountain NC


I've been part of a great community where women not only lead, but express the divine feminine through performances, workshops, classes about goddesses, poetry, readings and sharing with everyone.


Participants in a class that studied goddesses all around the world
Winter solstice with choir singing






A couple of men composing music at a grand piano here at Sepia Saturday this week.

Today's Quote:

Stop running from the ferocity of your own Being...
Burn off all your own games to that in you which is
Pure Intensity...
When you meet the very Core of your Being
become completely loyal to the deepest passion in you
and allow no more waste of time - find that devotion
to Reality [Truth] within yourself...



Aisha Salem
 

20 comments:

  1. Thank you so much Barb! This is a real honoring, beautiful recordings and pictures, and it brings back wonderful memories. Thank you so much for remembering and featuring all this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way the native flute music blends with the environmental sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a community you are a part of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I need to remind myself of how we are all connected sometimes!

      Delete
  4. A lovely post. I especially enjoy the soothing melody of the flute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I posted this to remind myself of all these wonderful women, and events focused on women's power...because I was feeling a bit un-connected to them, and some gratitude was a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful post! My daughter is a flute player. She is also a high school band director and adjudicator for Music Performance Assessments in the state of Florida. I am so proud of her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad your daughter plays flute and teaches as well. I've never heard of Music Performance Assessments, nor an adjudicator of them.

      Delete
  7. Such a nice tribute to feminine artists at a time when women in general are coming into their own in new ways!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have sung in choirs and choruses practically all my life - from the age of 8 when I sang in the all-school chorus till now, and I'll never stop. I love to solo - don't get me wrong! But there's something about singing in harmony with other people that is very special. Have you ever had one of those moments, singing with a group, when everything is in absolute perfect sync and it almost feels like an out-of-body experience? It doesn't happen often. I've only experienced it three times in my life - but WHAT a euphoric experience it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that moment that occurs with perfect harmony from so many voices!

      Delete
  9. Flute music always sounds so mystical, like it’s putting me under a spell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, though other soft sounds like harps do that to me as well.

      Delete
  10. Brava! Though I am not a singer, I know very well the delight and inspiration that comes from making beautiful harmony with other musicians. It is one of those rare universal truths, understood by all people anywhere and in any time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...