Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Thursday, March 1, 2018

Water Vessel

For the month of March, I'm sharing some of my favorite things at the Museum of Fine Arts in St. Petersburg, FL.

Not easy to find, the owl


Thus I learn a lot about women's activities...hauling water in artistic vessels, having fans for cooling oneself, and a vessel especially for ritual libations. (I wonder whether they were wine or not.) And a kalathos was a basket for wool.  I loved reading there might have been a mystery cult associated with "the distant city of Athens"...with the owl as its symbol!

I apologize for not getting the date and place for this piece.  Maybe I should go back just to see it!

Today's Quote:


Hope is not the conviction that something will turn out well, but the certainty that something makes sense regardless of how it turns out.
Vaclav Havel
 

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it...pretty amazing how our own works might live so long, but which ones might make it into a museum in a thousand or so years...scary!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments...