Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Friday, February 2, 2018

Patton Cemetery Est. 1794

 Trustees: Mrs A. B. Whitt, and P.P. Thomas
 Also known as Patton Meeting House Cemetery, per "Find a Grave," which notes that of the 120 memorials added, 98% have been photographed.
A friend lives up Patton Cemetery Road

 It isn't that big, and has lots of weeds in the summertime, so I was happy to go take some photos after most of the leaves had fallen.

 I enjoyed looking at graves, but it was late in the evening, so I felt I'd better come back on a morning to look in more time. There are homes all along the road, and people were fixing supper, watching TV, and might have noticed my car parked out by the road, not to mention the elderly lady walking amongst the stones without much purpose.  Fortunately I wasn't taken for a ghost, nor had any disturb my short visit.









 For a change, all these photos were taken by myself.  I often use photos that are posted on Find A Grave Sites.  I'm sorry that I sometimes forget to give credit for them.







 No, I don't think any of my ancestors' bones lie here.  But I have looked at the other cemeteries in the area, just to see the graves, the notations, and to honor the lives of these neighbors.

Alphabetically there are Biggs, Buchanans, Byrds, Coggins, Craigs,  a Cunningham,  a Patton Deweese, Fenders, Fosters and Fox, Gilliams and Graggs, a Grant and 3 Hemphills, Kirkpatricks, Lewis and Lytle, Mc Millans and McElreath, Melton, Mitchell and a lot of Pattons, some Penlands and Pickens, Porters, and a Randolph, Rhymer and some Seawards, Shufords and Stevensons, Stepps and Thomas, Wests and Wilfongs and Youngs. Source HERE.

Don't think I have anyone that I am related to there.

Today's Quote:


There are many things to be grateful "for" but, as I ripen with the seasons of life, the many reasons blend into a sacred mystery. And, most deeply, I realize that living gratefully is its own blessing.
Michael Mahoney
 

2 comments:

  1. the red markers are unusual to see

    ReplyDelete
  2. Graveyards can be fascinating - a glimpse of countryside inside towns, an insight and reminded that people in the past were once living and individual humans. They are a link across the centuries. Surprised people might have been surprised to see you walking there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...