Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Friday, October 6, 2017

Perspective


My family visited this beach this summer...showing one point perspective, all lines lead to one point on the horizon
Blogger which is no longer available on my iPad, at least each post is, but not the wonderful layout with header, pages and right hand column of my choices of other blogs I follow.  Thanks Apple for messing with things, your update really is of the worst you've done yet.  If I knew I would completely lose the blogger app with this update, I'd never have done it.  Can I un-do an update?  They of course say Blogger needs to be updated.  So I go to the app store, and Blogger is available again, if I pay for it.  Now $2.99 isn't that awful.  But geese, I had it free before.  I had it.  That's the point.  They removed my free app, and now are trying to get me to buy it.  Isn't there any justice in the world?

Yep I'm going to be ranting about this for a while.

See, it's like talking about athletes kneeling when Puerto Rico is slammed and its infrastructure demolished by a hurricane, then a music concert becomes a shooting gallery in Nevada.  There are some awful things happening in the world today, and I can talk about the latest iPad update and feel somewhat more in control of my life, though it's out of my control.  It's all about perspective.

Again, one point perspective, and showing the horizon itself helps.
When teaching about perspective, it helps to start with one point going into the distance toward a horizon line, which is directly related to the person viewing it. Always.  It's such fun to imagine the artist or photographer being part of the picture.

So here's my sharing for Sepia Saturday this week, perspective.

Several lines of perspective show here, but the diminishment of things (people, cars, buildings) as they go into the distance helps give perspective as well.  The height of things gets smaller the further away from us that they are.
 I've changed these color photos into black and white.  It used to be so great to use film which gave such beautiful designs, but now I just Picasa them. (again, Apple won't let me use Picassa on that laptop, so I have to go to my old one to edit my photos...what a fun game this is!)


Here we see 2 points going toward the imaginary horizon line of the camera's placement.  It' easy to see how if you extended the lines of the sidewalks outside the picture frame, they would actually meet the lines coming down of the roof.  What about the vertical lines? They also will head toward the horizon, but it's harder to notice on things that aren't very tall like skyscrapers.


In nature it's harder to notice two point perspective lines, so here we've had a bit of addition of straight lines of tents...and you can look at the corner of the closest one, and extend it's lines back to the horizon on both sides...all the tents are in a straight line, which helps.  You can do the same thing even with other things in nature, but it takes a bit of practice.

Inside we can see one point perspective on this old postcard of my mother's.
The lines all go toward the focal point, Queen Victoria's statue.  The camera was set up so it's eye level is directly opposite the statue.  If it had been lower, or higher, the lines would converge with a different invisible horizon line.  Is this two point or one point perspective?

Here's the back of the postcard. Flat things don't have any perspective!

State Apartments, Windsor Castle...
Grand Vestibule. - The Vestibule forms a  Museum in which are stored many articles of great value and historic interest, most of them having been presented to Queen Victoria or her successors. The marble statue of Queen Victoria by Sir. Edgar Boehm forms a prominent feature.
My mother received this postcard in 1938 from her pen pal in England (to San Antonio TX)

I hope we are able to keep our perspectives on the world events as well as our own lives.  For me that means that there are important things, and less important things...the further away from me, the smaller they get.

Quote for today:

When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Viktor Frankl



7 comments:

  1. I'm still using blogger for free on my ancient laptop, so far so good, I love perspective I remember when I took india ink architectural drawings in junior high in summer school, that was the hardest part, getting the perspective correct.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your perspective on the prompt is about the most inventive take on the prompt I've ever seen and certainly very informative. Kudos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perspective is definitely a state of mind. Recently on my vacation to Alaska I pondered the difference in perspective that animals have over humans, especially on the ocean. On board a ship the human frame of reference is essentially just two dimensions at sea level. But for birds, fish, and sea mammals, their world has three dimensions by adding an axis for up and down.
    And I hate it when mega companies change features. Google's elimination of Picasa and Microsoft's termination of Windows Mobile are terrible decisions for consumers who spent years figuring out how to use the software.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very interesting take on this week's prompt. But I am concerned at what you say about using blogger on an IPad. At the moment I still edit on my IPad, but I do tend to use the main computer when drafting posts, as my photographic collection is stored on that (with a back up, I hasten to add!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally sympathize with the loss of your app in the relentless march of technology. I have lost a bunch of them...including a meditation one that would have helped me cope! But your perspective is a good one as are your photos. Making them black and white makes the perspective easier to see. And you're correct, it's all "small stuff" when you consider the monumental recent losses of others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have expressed some fascinating thoughts here on perspective of various kinds. Perspective certainly draws the eye into images, and as far as your outlook on events is concerned, it makes a big difference if an event occurs in your city or your street as opposed to somewhere happening far away across the world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah Perspective! We Didnt See That Coming,Did We........! :)
    Making the photographer part of the picture.. and the best photographs make the viewer part of it also.
    A Thoughtful,Lovely Post.Thank You.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...