Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Happy Year of the Dragon. Here is my Dragon Girl Bird sculpture from 2018.

My info

Saturday, August 19, 2017

Motorcycles in my life

I've finally figured something out...about me. Not a great big thing, but one that I must admit to the other Sepia Saturday sepias. I wrote why I enjoyed SS a few weeks back. Now I must say that the reason I love seeing old pictures of people with British heritage (mainly) is that there is so much more history available to Brits. I'm intrigued, because my history just kind of ends in a muddle a few hundred years ago...until I also go back to Britain. So I'm glad to be a voyeur by all your sharing. Thanks!

Now to work on matching some of my photos to this week's prompt.  It's a doozie.  Check over on their site HERE to see what others come up with.

"Our theme image this week shows a dispatch rider repairing a motor cycle in France during the Great War. The August 1915 photograph is part of the collection of the British Museum which is available on Flickr Commons. There are the usual generous collection of potential themes available within this image - you don't need to get down on your back with your spanners out to find them. Whatever theme you discover, just match it with an old image from your own collection and post it on or around Saturday 19th August and add a link to the list below.

OK, I'm going to repost from one on another of my blogs about motorcycles.  

Not my ex-husband's first motorcycle, but similar!

I rode more than this first motorcycle, a Triton, which belonged to my boyfriend at the time, who I later married.

We didn't stay married all that long, and the best part was having two sons together. (He had sold the motorcycle when he entered the Coast Guard and before we got married.)  After the divorce I found my new-found freedom in the 70s and maybe went a bit overboard.  I had a boyfriend who I got engaged to, and we bought a motorcycle together...a little Honda.  

Here I am (hands on hips) having a yard sale in 1973.  I think it was mainly things my sister was selling as she moved from an apartment in FL to living in a cabin in TN.  But there are the Honda's handlebars in the foreground, which I felt pretty comfortable riding on my own.

In a few more years,  the next motorcycle in my life was a BMW, which another boyfriend owned.  I actually never drove another one myself.  (Don't ask how many boyfriends I had, but I'll gladly tell you I only was married once!)

However just last week I heard a motorcycle behind me, and knew it was a BMW by the sound.  They are the earliest (that I know of) to have a drive shaft rather than a chain.  It makes a world of difference, I think!

Not me, nor the exact model we rode in the 70s, obviously!

 Motorcyclists love to cruise on the Blue Ridge Parkway which is about 5 miles from my home.

And between my home and the Parkway is a huge Harley Davidson store.  So most of the "bikes" on the parkway are Harleys.

Except when there aren't a lot of cars or motorcycles, there are actual bicycles.  It's a great sport for the more fit among us, to climb these mountains by pedal power.


There are frequent traffic jams backed up when a bicycle is riding in your lane, and the cars can't find a way to pass him/her.  There are often other cars coming toward you, and you can't pull out into the oncoming lane to pass the bike.  There's now a law saying you can pass bikes by going over a double yellow line, as long as it's clear.  I hope bicyclists chose to ride during less traveled times.


4 comments:

  1. I was never confident enough to ride on my own but logged many hours on the back of a big BSA. It's a wonderful feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never rode a motorcycle, alone or with company. I used to live in Lake County, MI and every year they have the Blessing of the Bikes when thousands of bikers come to town and then head out to the airport to have their bikes blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh, the Blue Ridge. A little bit of heaven.

    I desperately wanted a dirt bike when I was in college to ride up in the Sierra's around the family cabin, but my mother just stared at me. I had to settle for the snowmobile in the winter. I envy your motorcycle savvy.

    As to bikers...I'm fed up with them. They ride three abreast down our narrow winding two lane road. You can end up following them for a mile or more until you find a safe place to go around. The fact that my car is silent doesn't help to let them know I'm stalking them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never even sat on a motor bike! Where I lived in Hawick (Scottish Borders), the lives of two famous international motor cyclists were commemorated with statues in the park and commemorative rides in their memory - Jimmy Guthrie and Steve Hislop, both born near the town.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...