Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Happy Year of the Dragon. Here is my Dragon Girl Bird sculpture from 2018.

My info

Monday, January 9, 2017

Into the snow

Flat Creek, Montreat NC
Sunrise hits my balcony at the same time as the mountain top across Swannanoa Valley.

But oh so cold still!  I made a deal with myself, when it got to be 20 outside, I could go out and clear off the car.  That happened at noon.

All the pock marks are from snow blowing in chunks off the trees overhead.

Almost done, and the engine has been running to defrost back and front windows.

So off I go, and quickly find out that places shaded by evergreen trees have lots of ice, which on a slope is very slippery.  I used my training about skids to good effect, right as I came out of the parking lot, steer into the skid until you've got some control, and it happened 3 times.  I figured even if I got to the bottom of the hill sideways, it was better than going into the ditch on the side of the road.  I succeeded without hitting a thing, going maybe 2 miles an hour!  And determined to come home another way which had less shade and had been plowed perhaps better than this.

I did a bit of shopping, then headed toward Montreat NC where Flat Creek has a nice foot bridge, and parking lot.  The lot wasn't plowed, but other cars had been there before me.

This car apparently had been left in the snow, but had its own dinner on top, nicely frozen still.  DiGiorno's Pizza.

Across the street (right inside the Montreat Stone Gate) is a nice hillside for sliding, and there were half a dozen cars parked there.  I know kids of all ages were enjoying the snow.

I'll share more of my short walk with you later!
Footbridge over Flat Creek, Montreat NC

Today's Quote:

The kind of beauty I want most is the hard-to-get kind that comes from within—strength, courage, dignity.
Ruby Dee

2 comments:

  1. So pretty! We had just a little snow. Should be gone tomorrow when it warms up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barbara -- Your photos of your surrounding winter wonderland are great. Pure white snow with sunlight blazing is a treat for many of us. I'm still in California -- no snow here in the valley but the mountains have been swept with glowing snow. -- barbara

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...