Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Happy Year of the Dragon. Here is my Dragon Girl Bird sculpture from 2018.

My info

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

My various homes

I guess it's in my blood.  My parents moved around before I came along, and then every 3-4 years while I lived with them.  I moved sometimes more often, through my 74 years.  So where have I been living all this time, you may wonder.

Born in 1942, Dallas Texas.

This is a night scene of downtown Dallas, while I was off in the maternity ward of Florence Nightingale Hospital.

 My first home, on Meridith Rd. Dallas, TX


I love this early 1950s scene of downtown Dallas, but alas, when I was 4, we moved to Houston, TX

That is me on the left with my little sister, Mary, in our Valentine outfits made by our seamstress Grandmommy. Red wool tams and skirts.  The frilly blouses were embroidered by our Great Aunts Alice and Gertie. (The were really cousins once removed I believe.  But one of them was the first female dentist in El Paso Texas, and I don't theink I ever even saw them.)


This photo is in 1939, but Foleys store was The Place to shop in Houston. When I was 6 I had my first haircut there, in the beauty shop upstairs.
Winter in 1949 gave Houston enough snow that cousin Claudette, myself, my sister and cousin Sandra got to play in the yard at my Gummy and Poppy's house on Brockton.

Then in 1950 the family moved to St. Louis.  We spent about a month finding an apartment, an upstairs unit, but it was big enough for the 4 of us.  Again, snow was falling in the winter, and summers were hellishly humid and hot.


Myself, my mother Mataley Rogers, and sister Mary in front of apartment on Cates Ave.

After maybe 3 years, we moved to another upstairs apartment. These were both within walking distance of The Principia, (on Page Blvd.) the school where mother worked and I attended from 3-12th grade. I even went 3 years at The Principia College, across the Mississippi in Elsah, IL. But let me go back to one home at a time.
Mother, Grandmommy and Mary in front of apartment on Clara.

Here I am with a snowman in the home my parents bought on St. Edumund Lane, in St. Ann, MO.  This meant commuting to school and work.


After I graduated from Upper School and had one year of college completed, my family moved to another home near the new campus of Principia, on Clayton Rd, in Clayton, MO.


Mary, myself and mother, in front of the house that they had built for the family (almost without me.)  I had a bedroom, which was also a guest room. My sister had the entire ground floor, with rec. room and private bath as well as bedroom. 
Miami Springs, Florida REO Properties, Miami Springs, Florida Bank REO ...
Miami Springs, FL house.
After college I lived in several places.  First I lived in Miami Springs, where I rented a tiny cottage behind another house while I was a stewardess for Pan American. 

When I quit flying I moved to New Orleans, LA for a short while with my boy friend (soon to be husband).  
521 Saint Philip St # 1, New Orleans, LA 70116 - Public Property ...
St; Phillip St, New Orleans, LA (efficiency above a bar!)
Our next apartments were in Corpus Christi, Texas.  We had 3 llittle one bedroom apartments while expecting our first son, and my husband's discharge from the Coast Guard. I don't have any pictures of them, but the first two were second story dwellings.

Then we moved near my husband's parents, in Hartford, CT.

I don't have any more to share with you at this time.  Some of the homes I lived in were for just a month or two, and some for as much as 4 years.  I don't think I ever lived anywhere longer than that!

I'm going to find some photos to share for the rest of the places (37 in all) where I've lived. These were just the first 21 years so far!

When I wake in the middle of the night and need help getting back to sleep, listing these places is better than counting sheep!









3 comments:

  1. Interesting post and loved the old pics! We live in Dallas now and have since 1971, so we consider it our 2nd home. New Orleans was our first. Can't imagine living in so many places since I've only lived in 2 homes in N.O., 2 in Florida, and 3 here in Dallas in my 71 years. But it must make for some wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your first home looks a lot like mine in Tampa -- a little place my mother bought while my father was in Burma during WWII. I've lived in twelve different places -- fifteen, if I count college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one good thing about frequent moves is that you don't collect a lot of "stuff". Your post made me count the number of addresses I have had in my almost 55 years... 10, with the bulk of them in the last 8 years.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments...