Copyright and other blogs currently being worked

Art and life connect - all kinds of art

My info

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

More glaze problems

This little vase had lots of problems from the outset.  It was not thrown that well, and was too heavy (thick walls). So I kind of shaved them off, and carved out some heart shapes.  I still thought there was something kind of cute and rustic about it.

Glazed the hearts red, then waxed them, then dipped the whole thing in the vat of Matt Black glaze.

Off to the kiln, and after doing cone 6, I was pretty ok with it. One side is alright.


But the other side is missing the black glaze on a long streak.  Either waxed by mistake (which I should have seen when I dipped it and cleared the black off the hearts) or the black dry glaze was scraped off while sitting on the shelf or being loaded.  It's not anything I really have any control over.  But I do like somethings about this...seeing how the carving helps the black glaze break...kind of interesting.

No I no longer get upset when my pottery isn't perfect.  I may strive to do the best I can, but I long ago learned it's out of my hands at a certain point.
Today's quote:
Heaven and Earth are threads from one loom.
Shaker proverb
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments...